LAST UPDATED: [3/20/2013]
Personal Information We Collect
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual, such as:
- Organization or school
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Twitter handle
- Personal website address
We may combine your Personal Information with information that we receive from and about you, online and offline, including from third parties.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information:
- to process and complete donations you make via the Site.
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters.
- to send you important information regarding the Site, changes to our terms, conditions and policies and other administrative information.
- to provide you with information about our organization and its initiatives.
- to send you communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
- to personalize your experience on the Site, such as by presenting content and offers tailored to you.
- to allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new services, enhancing our website, improving our services, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
- as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions, rules and policies; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Personal Information is Disclosed
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- to our third party service providers who provide services such as payment processing, website hosting, data analysis, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery services, auditing services and other similar services, to enable them to provide services.
- to third parties sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions.
- to identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Site.
- by you, on message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services may be available to visitors to the Site and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the Site.
- to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our organization, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions, rules and policies; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Other Information We Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- Browser information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
How We Collect Other Information
We and our third party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system version and Internet browser type and version. We use this information to ensure that our Site functions properly.
- Using pixel tags and similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Site pages and HTML-formatted email messages to, among other things, track the actions of Site users and email recipients, measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about Site usage and response rates.
- IP Address: Your “IP Address” is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. An IP Address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user visits the Site, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating Site usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Site.
- From you: Information such as your location, as well as other information, such as your preferred means of communication, is collected when you voluntarily provide this information. Unless combined with Personal Information, this information does not personally identify you.
- By aggregating information: We may aggregate Personal Information so that the end-product does not personally identify you or any other user of the Site, for example, by using Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users with a certain area code.
How We Use and Disclose Other Information
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then, in addition to the uses listed in the “How We Collect Other Information” section above, we may use and disclose Other Information for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information.
In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
THIRD PARTY SITES
We use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information under our control, including encryption technologies such as Secure Socket Layer (SSL) for sensitive information such as credit card transactions. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you are concerned about using your credit card to make donation online, please feel free to call us at 703-527-8300 and make your donation via the phone. If you have reason to believe that your online interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use of your Personal Information
We give you choices regarding our use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt out from:
- Receiving marketing emails from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing emails from us, you may opt out of receiving them by following the instructions contained in each such email. If you opt out of receiving marketing messages from us, we may still send you important administrative messages.
- We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
If you are a registered user, you can access, review, correct and remove certain Personal Information by logging into your account. If errors in your Personal Information cannot be corrected by accessing your account, if you do not have an account, or if you have questions related to updating your Personal Information, please contact us using the contact information below. You may also contact us to ask that we remove your Personal Information from our records. We may need to retain certain Personal Information for recordkeeping purposes (such as information about your donations, for tax purposes), and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records which will not be removed.
In any request you make, please make clear what information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
USE OF THE SITE BY CHILDREN
The Site is not directed to children and we do not knowingly solicit information from any child under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you may not use the Site to disclose Personal Information or use any feature of the Site that requires such disclosures.
The Site is controlled and operated by us from the United States and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States.
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Site you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than in your country.
we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., Social Security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Site or otherwise to us.
Youth Venture, Inc.
1700 North Moore Street
Arlington, VA 22209
You may also send us an email at email@example.com. Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.